
Listen, here's what I think. I think that we can't go around... measuring our goodness by what we don't do. By what we deny ourselves, what we resist, and who we exclude. I think... we've got to measure goodness by what we *embrace*, what we create... and who we include.
-from Chocolat
Tonight was a chocolate tour organized by the International House. We wandered all over midtown sampling cupcakes at Crumbs and Magnolia and finally ended up at Max Brenner chocolate. A place with things like chocolate soup and marshmellow pizza on the menu. Decadence, pure decadence.
Throughout the night and all of the walking I met several incredible people from the IHouse:
mechanical engineer from the Netherlands
postdoc in anthropology from Boston
public policy major from Pakistan
former businessman now studying social development from Maryland
law student from Trinidad
former high school teacher from Minnesota
student in public policy from Ecuador
science and policy major from Louisiana
artist from Costa Rica
financial engineer from China/Japan/Seattle
journalist from San Francisco
teacher from China
former marine now studying English from West Virginia
And they are all under 30. So many incredible people. Not sure which was better, my '80s chocolate shake' (served in a very cool glass with a metal straw - see above) or multiple stimulating conversations. I'm going to go with the latter.
I'd go with the latter, too. But, hey ... chocolate, especially fine quality chocolate ... mmmmm. What a plethora of diversified people! Man, oh man. So interesting.
ReplyDeleteI love that quote from Chocolat! So true. Sounds like a wonderful evening, I am so glad that you are having a good time. Miss you. Love you!
ReplyDelete