It is good to be back in NYC after a great Spring Break. However, Spring Break was also wonderful. I had the chance to go to an Indian Reservation in South Dakota and visit Lakota Solar Energy Enterprises. I was doing a site review for my internship. I saw the production of these solar heaters and also how they are used. Basically cold air is taken into one pipe, warmed in the panel, and pumped back into the house. This can reduce the money a family spends on energy by 20%. Pretty amazing. This project was totally in line with what I'm studying in two of my classes right now and it was fantastic to see sustainable technologies in a real-world way, making a real-world difference. I feel so lucky to have these opportunities and see how classwork and on-the-ground implementation are right in line with each other.
This week I got a message with some quotes about New York by famous folk who lived here and I think they do great justice to the city.
“Culture just seems to be in the air, like part of the weather.” – Tom Wolfe
“I go to Paris, I go to London, I go to Rome, and I always say, ‘There’s no place like New York. It’s the most exciting city in the world now. That’s the way it is. That’s it.” – Robert Deniro
“I miss New York. I still love how people talk to you on the street – just assault you and tell you what they think of your jacket.” – Madonna
“When its 100 degrees in New York, it’s 72 in Los Angeles. When its 30 degrees in New York, in Los Angeles it’s still 72. However, there are 6 million interesting people in New York, and only 72 in Los Angeles.” - Neil Simon
“At night… the streets become rhythmical perspectives of glowing dotted lines, reflections hung upon them in the streets as the wistaria hangs its violet racemes on its trellis. The buildings are shimmering verticality, a gossamer veil, a festive scene-prop hanging there against the black sky to dazzle, entertain, amaze.” – Frank Lloyd Wright
“You come to New York to find the ambiance that will evoke your best. You do not necessarily know precisely what that might be, but you come to New York to discover it.” – Dr. James Hillman
“New York is a galaxy of adventure at once elegant, exciting and bizarre. It’s a city that moves so fast, it takes energy just to stand still.” – Barbara Walters
No comments:
Post a Comment