Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Nightmare Before Christmas

"I'm a master of fright, and a demon of light, and I'll scare you right out of your pants. To a guy in Kentucky I'm Mister Unlucky and I'm know throughout England and France. And since I am dead, I can take off my head to recite Shakespearean quotations. No animal or man can SCREAM like I can with the fury of my recitations."
- from Nightmare Before Christmas

This quote seemed ever so appropriate, especially if it were sung by all of my midterm assignments in a lovely chorus of fright. Never fear though, I have finally emerged successful and alive from those three weeks in the loony bin. As most of my time between the last post and this were filled with study, I thought I would at least share what each paper was about:

If this does not interest you, please scroll down to the Halloween pictures which are far more interesting. If these topics are especially interesting to you, I will gladly send you copies. Please send a prepaid envelope with a few twenties inside and I'm sure we can come to an arrangement.


International Relations: I wrote about the perpetual peace that can come through proliferation of nuclear weapons. (If more states have them the more careful everyone will be when waging war because destruction would be imminent.)

Introduction to International Development: We should not adopt a plan to put microchips in the cattle of Lesotho because it is a costly product based on incorrect assumptions about the local population.

Management: Though Sweden's Student Financial Aid System has functioned well, it can be advanced through staff surveys, a streamlining of application systems and avoidance of taking on adult education monitoring.

Economics: Consumer Theory, Elasticity, Marginal Rate of Substitution, Opportunity Cost, Tangency Condition, Indifference Curves ... let me know if this is not enough for you.

Swahili: Ninasoma sana sana na ninapenda masomo yangu.

Are you still with me?
Well, the coolest thing that has happened since the last post was the Halloween Parade in the Village followed by the Danger Party in Brooklyn.

The parade is on the list of 100 Things to Do Before You Die. It is definitely an event. It is a participatory parade, so anyone can just enter in at the beginning and walk in it. We saw a few people we knew after we'd been watching for an hour, so we joined them for the last two blocks. There was so much energy and so many incredible costumes.

The Danger Party was crazy and amazing. It was held in two warehouses in Brooklyn. There were several dance floors in each, live music, fire dancers, people playing Twister on other people dressed up as twister, and a huge room with an old silent movie playing and a girl who was acting out her own movie in front of that. It was hard to capture on camera because it was generally dark throughout, but trust me when I say that it was pure NYC.






Things are still going so well here. The weather is stunning and activities are plentiful. On the line-up for this week is a Net Impact Conference at Cornell, Chocolate Festival in Brooklyn, and a Discussion about the Great War in the Congo. Hope all is well with you wherever you may be!

4 comments:

  1. Man! I wondered what you were up to. I clearly need wonder no more. I definitely get the picture. Thanks for the update though. Can't wait to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you Becky! The pumpkin carving party was not nearly the same without you. I left early. I hope you are having a wonderful time. I MISS YOU! Em

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear girl,
    You are having a great time and doing great things. I was a little choked up when I read your tribute in Swahili as I never guessed it had touched you that much:):) Thanks again for taking us on a great roller coaster ride. It's better for me this way than to actually go to the Danger Party, n'est-ce pas?

    old daddy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crazy NYC! Looks fun, frightening, weird, and jiving all at once. Does adrenaline flow at a consistent rate? We love you. You look great!

    ReplyDelete